Learning how to putt is one of the most important skills to have when trying to improve your scores. It looks so simple, but any mistake you make on the green does not leave you any chance to recover. A tap-in adds one stroke to your score just like a 300+ yard drive does.
Almost every hole you play will end with you putting the ball into the hole. Professionals, beginners, and everyone in between will use their putter more during a round of golf (over 40% of your total strokes!) than any other club in their bag.
One of the most difficult things about improving your putting is that practice does not always help you get better. You have to practice the right technique using the proper drills if you want to make strides in this part of your game. That is where our site comes in handy. We only list the top putting tips that we have found to help golfers become more successful in not only making more putts, but eliminating the dreaded 3-putt.
There are a lot of areas to cover with the flat stick. We will start out with the fundamentals like grip, stance, and alignment before moving on to the actual stroke, distance control, and reading greens so you know the direction and speed in which to putt your ball towards the hole.
The putting stroke is the simplest way for you to strike the golf ball. While it is very similar to chipping, a putting stroke does not translate very well to a full swing. That is why good ball-strikers are often not the best putters and vice versa.
It doesn’t matter your age, size, or strength. Anyone can learn how to putt and to do it well.
- Test Your Current Skills
- Learning How to Putt
- How to Spend Your Time
- Practice Drills & Routines
- Getting the Green Speed Down Before a Round
- Practice Putting Indoors
- Putting Practice Games
- Learning Touch on the Greens
- Drills to Increase Feel of Your Stroke
- Simplifying Your Putting Stroke
- Working on Stability
- How to Control Your Distance
- Getting Putts Started On Line
Reading the Green
- Green Reading Factors
- Using the Plumb Bobbing Technique
- 6 Tips on How to Read Golf Greens
- Developing a Pre-Putt Routine
- Using Visualization to Read the Green
- Uphill or Downhill?
- Is Good Putting Lucky?
- What Is Proper Etiquette on the Putting Green?
- How Jumbo Putter Grips Help
- Putter Fitting Guide
- Why Do Putters Have Loft?
- How to Putt from the Fringe
- How to Grip the Putter
- Common Putting Mistakes
- How to Keep Putts From Bouncing
- How to Make More Short Putts
- How to Putt Well Under Pressure
- Where to Put Your Hands In The Putting Setup
- Is Speed Or Line More Important in Putting
- How to Putt From Uneven Lies
- How to Get Ready for the Greens Before the Round
- How Grain Affects Putts
Types of Strokes
- Putting Sidesaddle
- Body Putting
- Jabbing at Putts
- Pendulum Putting Stroke
- Cross Handed Putting Grip
- One Handed Putting
- Long Putter Technique
- How to Use a Belly Putter
- Basics of Putting